Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hello Baseball



Spring Training 2010 is in full swing. It has been amazing. New City, New Stadium, Beautiful Day and Family In Town. What could be better!

Chris and I have been able to find a group of players that meet on Monday night for a bible study, then on Wednesday morning the wives have a bible study. Finding this group of people has been a huge blessing to Chris and I. To talk with other Christians about the struggles that we go through in baseball and the aspects that other people just do not get.

Today's wives bible study was about control. In the baseball world, it always seems that we are living on the edge of the unknown. Not knowing if we will be released, get traded, make the team that we want to be on, move up or even move down. Our lives hang in the hands of the Reds (or whatever team the guys play for). But in all reality, our lives are not in the hands of the Reds. They are in the hands of GOD. It is his plan for us and it has to be way better than what the reds would choose for Chris and I. One of the wives said something that really struck me. My husband is not a baseball player. He is a son of God that plays baseball. I really like this.

Chris and I need to keep remembering that we are children of God and during this rough season, God will carry us through.

Today has been a hard day. Chris was moved down to the Minor League Spring Training from the Big League Spring Training. On top of it all, he had to have a Root Canal this afternoon. My heart sank for my husband.

In the last six months we have struggled with getting pregnant, not knowing if we would get invited to Big League Spring Training, to getting invited to Big League Spring Training, his arm hurting him, getting some not so good news about Chris's career, then getting moved down to Minor League Spring Training.

How are Chris and I handling this hard time in our lives. By going to the word (one of these verses I have to give credit to my friend Chrysta for sending me)

"So do not be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Love one day at a time." Matthew 6:34

"Do not worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." Phil 4:6

Let me list what I am thankful for today:
  • My amazing husband, who is not ashamed to call me and ask me to pray with him while he is at the field on his knees before God
  • New project today that I will only have to travel once a month
  • A mother who is willing to let me cry to her on the phone
  • A mother in law who understands the importance of time with my husband
  • Family members who are willing to cancel their travel plans for this weekend
  • The new bible studies that are coming available to us this Spring Training
If you have a moment tonight, please pray that Chris and I are listening to what God wants for us.

6 comments:

Mama Fish said...

Heather- I love this post! I love that you have been able to find not one but TWO bible studies. (one for the two of you and one for you). Having just started hosting a bible study in my home with a group of women, I know how it has helped me. I needed that fellowship with other women, and to be in God's Word studying it. I cracked up because a while ago you had mentioned you were studying James. Well the leader of our study chose James as well. I thought to myself, now who do I know that just mentioned they were studying James? I cracked up because it was you, and I don't even know you. Too funny.

Anyway, all that to say again I love this post. It's so true. You both are in God's hands. He's in control of every step you take. Seek him. He will direct your steps. I needed to read this post for myself tonight too.
I'll be praying for you both.

Jackie

The Denoves said...

Thanks Jackie! I love James and I hope you are enjoying it and I am glad that I can help you out. I will be praying for you also.

Heather

Kalee said...

Heather, I had no idea about any of this and even though I don't know you that well, I just want you to know that you're in my thoughts & prayers- I understand how hard the uncertainty can be sometimes, it can really weigh heavy on the heart and soul and I know that feeling can be overwhelming- I'm sending good energy your way girl, for you to be able to let it go, trust the process, and enjoy your life's good moments :)

Meant to be a mom said...

Aw sweetie, I'm so sorry your hubby had a hard week and I most definitely will pray for you guys, for your hubby and for your future babies".

Just keep strong in your faith (which I see you are). He always hears and answers our prayers. Just not always on our time clock.
Thinking of you guys!

dianna said...

heather,

i want you to know that i have been continuously praying for you guys, and that God is working. I know sometimes it might not seem that way or that it is hard to understand, but He is active.
I miss you tremendously and wish i could be sitting in the stands with you sharing our ucla nachos! ;)
love you,
dianna

Betsy Watkins said...

Heather, I cannot tell you how much this post means. Thank you and Chris for being real, honest and vulnerable. Some of my scripture reading this morning was in II Chron. 20 about Jehoshaphat and all the "ites" that he and his people were facing. Read it all when you have a chance. For now, here is a portion of Jehoshaphat's prayer in verse 12. "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." Blessings to you and Chris!