Saturday, January 23, 2010

Me and the Ocean

We have a funny relationship. Actually, it is not a relationship at all. I hate the ocean and it likes to taunt me. There are two stories about the ocean from this vacation and I only have pictures of the second one.

Snorkeling
I have never been snorkeling before and my husband thought it would be the perfect time to take me out. So we walked over to Kapalua Bay and rented the snorkel gear for an hour.

Now, I am a human being that breathes through my nose, so when Chris explained to me that I had to breathe through the snorkel with my mouth.....well....let's just say I started hyperventilating (through my nose with the snorkel on...not a pretty sight). Eventually, I calmed down and we walked into the dreaded ocean.

The water was at my ankles and I was battling with the sand and my flippers. Not only do I hate the ocean, I hate everything that is part of the ocean...including the sand. Once I got all the sand out of my flippers, I reluctantly followed my husband into the vast and overwhelming water. I have never been more scared in my life.

Chris kept pointing out the fish and the coral, but all I kept thinking about was the little sign at the rental place that had an eel coming out of the coral with sharp teeth and a big X through it telling you to not step on the coral. Why would they put that sign on there? I was already paranoid. As my mind was thinking about the eel picture, I saw Chris's finger out of the corner of my eye and there it was.....a huge puffer fish!!! That was it, I was out of there. I turned around and swam as fast as I could back to the beach. My poor husband didn't know what was happening, he was just chasing after me and trying to keep me from running into the coral.

Needless to say, I lasted a total of 10 minutes which was honestly 9 minutes longer than I expected.

1 comment:

Mama Fish said...

LOL!! On our honeymoon my husband and I went snorkeling in Cancun. We first had to jet ski out to the snorkeling reef area... There were a ton of fish and our guide thought it would be funny to release some kind of small fish food (minnow like) all around my legs. Let's just say that a swarm of fish came to feast. I was screaming! Not so funny at the time, though now it's a bit humorous. :-)