Friday, November 19, 2010

Nash 's Story - Part 1 Water Breaking

*Note: All the pictures below are taken after 2 in the morning and I am already really swollen at this point. I have also not washed my hair in two days. I have also thrown in some pics of Nash just for the fun.

After a long stressful day of work, Chris and I made a big dinner. Roast with potatoes and carrots in the crockpot. We sat and ate and then I topped the meal off with a big bowl of ice cream and chocolate sauce.

Around 10 I decided to go to bed. I was exhausted and just was not feeling like myself. Chris started playing a computer game with his cousin. Around 10:30, I asked Chris to come in the bedroom to put on a White Christmas. I laid back down. Ten minutes later I heard a pop in my stomach and thought Nash had hit some organ. Then another ten minutes later, I felt this huge sensation to pee. I sat up and a rush of water came pouring out of me. At this point, I was still not convinced my water had broke. I yelled "Chris" his response was "what".......I must not have sounded panicked enough because he did not get up off of the couch. I opened up our bedroom door and said "Love.....I think my water just broke" ......."What?!?!?!?...Liam I have to go".

From that point on the panic started to kick in for both of us. How could this be? I am only 34 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Chris said "Call the doctor!" Which we did not have his number readily available. Eventually I found it. I got the message machine: my doctor stated "If you think you are in labor, go to the hospital. If you think your water broke, go to the hospital, if this is an emergency go to the hospital, for anything else stay on the line and leave me a message." So what did I do....left a panicked message for the doctor. He called back. "Heather, what did my message say?" I stated "It said if you think your water broke then go to the hospital......however it did not say go there if your water broke 5 weeks early or state what it looked like when your water broke!!!!!!! "He calmly stated "Heather, go to the hospital"

At that point, I told Chris "It is time, we need to go to the hospital". Since Nash was not supposed to come for another 5 weeks we were not prepared at all. And no one tells you that when your water breaks that it continues to pour out. I got dressed and told Chris to grab a towel. We headed to the car and I asked Chris for the towel......he handed me a rag. It did not even cover my entire bottom. Oh well....I sat on it:) Chris threw the car seat in the back, the stroller for the car seat, the baseball blanket, quilt, my pillow, and the video camera. Yes that is all we originally took to the hospital.

Chris called his Mom and I called mine. Both were absolutely shocked. Chris's Mom got out of bed and headed over to the hospital. My Mom got my little sisters ready and packed up the car and started the drive to the hospital (which was 2 hours and 15 minutes from their house) at 11:30 at night. Luckily, my Dad was already in LA for business so he made his drive to the hospital.

As we drove, we were praying that everything would be ok. All that I could think about was that it was too early. This cannot be happening to us. We have tried so hard to get pregnant and now my water broke too early. I have not shaved my legs or washed my hair in over two days. How embarrassing.

We pulled up to the ER and I walked in.....soaking wet. I provided my name and told the admission lady that we had pre registered on Wed. Of course, the papers had not made it into the system yet and I had to sit in the ER with my water pouring out and provide all of my information. Chris finally makes it to the ER, and I finally finish my paper work. The lady says "You can go up now". I kindly state "Um.....we have not had the hospital tour, it is this Saturday." " Ohhhhhh, we will have someone take you." (After this instance...I would highly recommend not sitting on ER chairs)
I was wheeled up to the Labor and Delivery wing, where the nurses were expecting me. The labor and delivery nurse asked if my water had broke. I nervously told her "I am not 100% sure.....what is it supposed to feel like or look like" She just stated "Get into a gown and I will test your clothes" She walked into the bathroom and said "Oh Honey......your water broke"

2 comments:

Mama Fish said...

Oh my gosh Heather, I am cracking up here! So so funny! I will not sit on ER chairs now. I'm still chuckling about the small towel your Chris gave you. It reminds me of my Chris. My water broke too (both pregnancies though not five weeks early!) My Chris was running around and I heard the ice machine in the fridge. So I yelled down to him to find out what he was doing. He was getting "ice chips" for me for the hospital. lol! I told him.... "Honey they will give me those when I get to the hospital, you don't have to bring your own." Baby Nash is so beautiful! Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Annie said...

This is such a cliff hanger!!! I think I read it twice. And woah girl, way to go getting this out already! aloha from the groves